• facebook icon

Current Year Placement

Minneapolis Public Schools enrolls students all year round.

If you are seeking school placement for the current school year (2020-2021), please go to our 2020-2021 school request site or call Student Placement Services at 612.668.1840

If you:

  • Are moving to Minneapolis and need to enroll a student aged 4-21 years old.
  • Already live in Minneapolis and wish to enroll a student in a Minneapolis Public School.
  • Have moved out of your MPS school’s transportation area and need to change schools.
  • NOTE: If you have not moved but want to change schools during the school year, please read the Intra-District Transfer Procedure here.

STEP-1: Enrolling in Minneapolis Public Schools for the 2020-21 school year

  • For enrollment in any of the Minneapolis Public Schools, please call Student Placement Services
  • We may request that you come in, but if this is not possible we will work to accommodate you. If necessary, you can have another adult relative complete enrollment.
  • We will ask you to complete several forms:
    • Intake Form so we have the information needed to create an enrollment record for your child
    • Minnesota Language Survey (required for all students who are new to our district).
    • Health & Special Education Information Form to learn if your child has any medical or special education needs.
    • 506 Form which is requested for American Indian students.
    • We will show you your community elementary, middle or high school based on your address, as well as citywide magnet programs. We will look at current openings in your attendance-area schools, and share information with you about available options.
    • Once you have decided on a school, we will place your child and give you a placement letter with information about the new school and explain your next steps.

STEP-2: After your child has been placed

  • Once we have completed placement for your child, it is important that you call the school to set up an appointment to register.
  • The school directory is provided here including school name, address, phone number, hours and the school’s administrators.
  • The school may ask you to come in during the school day to register, or they may set an appointment. In most cases, students begin attending the day after their registration appointment.
  • APPOINTMENTS ARE ALWAYS REQUIRED FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL REGISTRATION. Your child’s counselor will meet with you to create your student’s class schedule.
  • If you live outside the school’s walk zone, the school will submit a transportation request for your child to be assigned to a bus route. The Transportation Department will identify the stop closest to your home or childcare location, or identify a suitable stop within one week.


  1. Your child’s birth certificate or other document that shows her/his name and date of birth.
  2. Your child’s most recent immunization/shot records.
  3. Any medical information the school might need to know to keep your child safe at school.
  4. Any paperwork related to special education services your child receives or has received.
  5. For High School students, please bring your student’s current school transcripts, or provide the name of the previous school attended if you don’t have transcripts. We will request records to help ensure our child is enrolled on time. The school counselor will need to have your student’s transcripts in order to assign her/him an appropriate class schedule.

Enrolling a child who receives special education services or has has special needs or a medical condition:

  • If you have a child birth-five year old with special needs, please call Early Childhood Special Education at 612.668.5100.
  • If your school-age child already has an IEP (Individual Education Plan) from any district (MPS or elsewhere), please bring this along when you visit the Student Placement Center or New Families Center to enroll.
  • If your child has a medical condition, please bring any helpful paperwork (regarding health providers, treatment or medications) that may guide us in helping you request a school. We will place your child at a school with appropriate health office supports to keep your child safe at school.

Enrolling a child who has a home language other than English

  • State and federal laws were written to make sure students with a home language other than English have equal access to education in all public schools. Your child’s MN Language Survey will tell us if your child speaks or understands a home language other than English, and whether we will conduct an English Proficiency Assessment.
  • For more information or to make an appointment, please contact us at:

    Student Placement Center, 1250 West Broadway Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55411
    Phone: 612.668.1840
    Email: SPS.Department@mpls.k12.mn.us



We are MPS Strong!

If you have questions about the enrollment process, please contact us at sps.department@mpls.k12.mn.us or call us at 612.668.1840.
Please note - if you have feedback regarding the translations of this website, please let us know.